Sunday, May 24, 2009

Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian

Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian

Directed by Shawn levy'

Quality--Stale and Moldy

Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian. The first one was a funny, clever, even action packed film. This one, not so much. I went to the big theater in town The Regal Biltmore "Grande" to see this with my youth group. To start, the theater is pritty big its exiting in away to see a movie there. There are flashy lights etc. It gives some what of a better experience then when i go see a movie at the theater I work for but that will soon change after we finish with our renovations. I walked in, got my ticket, hung out with my group of friends, talked to a friend who works there, and got in line for a Icee. Whitch by the way is one of the only reasons i ever go there because right now my theater does not have Icee's. But anyways i do the typical things I do when I go see a movie. All of this got me in the happy-go-lucky movie goers mode. You know the one were you smile and are all gitty, You go in and find your seat, Watch and critique the trailers with your pal, all with a smile on your face. But then, then it happens. The movie starts, That smile disappers, You look at your Icee or popcorn or other bit of junk food, then at your ticket stub, and lastly your best firend who allways looks like hes haveing the best time of his life, you think about new friends you could make. The kind who watch indie & art films and eat at wired authentic chinese restaurants... you know the type. You wonder if they might give you a refund. But no... no-no you don’t go and ask. You wait. You wait to see if it gets better. Then half way through when you know you can't get a refund that’s when you realize that there is no hope left. You shed a tear for your money and then you think man this movie will not get any better.

Okay, so im being WAY overdramatic, but that is what I do. This movie had laughs. It had some fun, It was a good kids film. But im not a kid. That is why, for this review, I am going to split it into two separate reviews. Because if I write one review it wouldn't do the few good parts of this film justice. The first review is going to be of this film as a kids movie. The second will be as a movie for all ages, which in my opinion, is what the movie should have been made for since I do not think 4-10 year olds go to the movies by them selfs, but who knows in this day and age. Its probably likely. Also I will try to keep the reviews simple and short. I don’t want you to be sitting here for a hour reading it. Actouly i do that would be great if i could captivate you for that long. If only this movie could have done that.

Let me also say something. I understand that you might think i was thinking to much about it when i saw this. Well i went in knowing not to think to much. and this is still what i thoght

Kids Movie:

This, as a kids movie, was not so bad. Excitment, fantasy, and laughs. It had all that. If I had a kid I would defiantly take him to see this one. Intelligence? Historical accuracy? Things children today should be learning from a movie like this? No. If you plan on taking your kid to see this insted of Hannah Montana or something so that maybe they can not only have fun and laugh but also because you think it might sneek some education into it. You might want to think again. The movie did have accurate names, it did make some... some history references that your kids might not know and now would because of the movie. For instance how Amelia Earhart was the fist woman to fly solo across the Atlantic Ocean, And how she inspired the first African American pilots, and that Al Capone was a gangster but other then that, there were just a bunch of names kids might or might not have heard of. They never really explain what who some of the people are or what they did. Like Napoleon or Ivan the Terrible or even Albert Einstein. Only that Ivan and Napoleon were bad guys and that Albert Einstein was some what smart and Also that the fourth of the three Stooges. If you see the movie the way they depicted him was degrateing. I may be going a little over bored here. It was a kids movie and I need to remember that. It had some very funny moments. It had dialog that a kid would understand. It had educational value, though it was a very little amount. And for that I say the movie was a stale peace of bread. If your kid has not seen a Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian let them watch the first before you pay the $6 - 10 bucks for a ticket to see the second.

Adult Movie:

Here is were I get to have fun. As a adult movie. This was just bad. The movie was so incredibly simple and predictable, to the point were I forgot there was even a story line because I already new the entire movie. And when I say that i knew the whole movie, I strangely new everything down to the very end. There were also WAY to many improved or what seemed to be improved moments. Two characters talking to each other sprouting of pulp culture refrences that they should not even know as well as museum jokes and then making fun of each other or slaping each other or both acting like complete morons. These convorsations took way to long. Draging the movie on and on wile we watch these stupid pop culture wize dumbys. Which leads me to my next topic. Is every one in history stupid? I mean really? Was Albert Einstein a bumbling idiot? Was Al Capone, one of the most successful gangsters in history really just a arrogant, stupid, jerk? Well hang on... Jerk probably, arrogant most likely, but stupid? Come on now, how much did he make again? I don’t think a stupid person could accomplish what he did. But that brings me to one of the few good things about this movie. Some of the characters, including Al Capone had a great wardrobe. Al Capone wore a three piece suit and was digitally black and white which was kinda neat, Amelia Earhart wore her flight suit which looked great on her and Ben Stiller put on a new security guard uniform which provided a nice nostalgic moment from the first film. A good part. Actually GREAT part of this movie was mis Amy Adams. She is such a great actress. And in this movie she plays Amelia Earhart. She has it down too. She was one of the only parts of this movie that I enjoyed. But there was one more part. Johna hill. He had a little improv scene with Ben Stiller. He was a security guard. It was so incredibly funny. Im taking the few funny parts as well as Amy Adams into consideration here and it just did not do it for me, so im saying its one moldy piece of bread.

As a kids movie this was pretty good. But for you, adults going with your kids, im sorry but you might not like it. Take them to see Terminator Salvation instead. Ha ha ha...

2 comments:

  1. the other half of bradMay 29, 2009 at 6:29 AM

    zach ... you forgot to mention that i was there too ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amelia Arehart is one of the things that dragged on for me. She def made it more fake too. I dunno just my opinion. -Ruthie

    ReplyDelete